Sunday, July 26, 2020

Why do I feel the need to apologize?

When someone asks me if we have children, I find myself apologizing...  "I'm sorry, no we don't.  We were diagnosed with infertility years ago."  I am not sure why I do this.  Subconscious guilt?  Feeling I let someone down? 

Society's expectations are so overwhelming that we tend to apologize for not living up to what they feel is normal.  For us, it is not having children. 

Sadly this has caused many people with infertility to feel the need to apologize.  So often I say it before I even realize what I said...  It's become an automatic response realizing it after I say it, then I'm mad at myself.

Here's to trying to reprogram my brain!  Repeat after me, "I have nothing to apologize for!"  "It's OK I do not have children!"  "I am still loved for being just ME!" 

~ Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment